What is a REALTOR®?
Or, When Is a Real Estate Practitioner a REALTOR®?
“Real Estate Practitioner” is a generic term that can be used by anyone with a license to sell real estate. The New Mexico Real Estate Commission (NMREC) is the licensing agency that governs the rules, regulations, and other licensing requirements in New Mexico. Not everyone who sells real estate can call himself a REALTOR®.
A real estate practitioner is a REALTOR® when he or she becomes a member of a Member Board, State Association, and the National Association of REALTORS®, the world’s largest professional association. The term “REALTOR®” is a registered collective membership mark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the REALTORS® organization and abides by a strict Code of Ethics.
Willingness to accept and abide by the Code of Ethics of the National Association of REALTORS® is the single, most outstanding characteristic that sets REALTORS® apart from other real estate practitioners.
A REALTOR® can provide access to Multiple Listing Service (MLS) information. Using this, members are able to cooperate with each other in the sale and purchase of homes, land, and commercial and income properties. This regulated sharing of information enables participating REALTOR® members to more effectively assist customers and clients to buy and sell property.
A REALTOR® will:
- Help you find the perfect match between what you can afford and the home that best suits your needs.
- Access all the properties for sale in your desired area through the Multiple Listing Service.
- Negotiate for you: Once you’ve found the home you want to buy, your REALTOR® will write up your offer and present it to the seller.
- Get the right price: REALTORS® know the market inside and out, getting you the best price possible, whether you are buying or selling.
- Protect your rights: Real estate laws have become increasingly complicated and your REALTOR® is specially trained to assist you.
- Allow you to make your own decision: A professional works for YOU and respects your opinions.